- Start: March 10, 2021 2:00 pm
- End: April 7, 2021 4:00 pm
Learn how to manage your grants and subawards while staying current with the latest changes to the Uniform Grants Guidance (also known as the “OMB Super Circular”) from the comfort of your home or office when you register for our Spring 2021 Webinar Series: Understanding the Revised Uniform Guidance.
You asked us to repeat our popular five-part “Understanding the Revised Uniform Guidance Webinar Series,” and we listened! Attend the Spring 2021 Webinar Series to make sure that you understand the updated rules for managing your grants and subawards. Compliance with grants management requirements is the key to any successful grant-funded program. Every person involved in managing Federal awards or subawards should have a working knowledge of the Office of Management and Budget’s Uniform Grants Guidance (commonly called the “OMB Super Circular”). However, the Super Circular has changed, and the first comprehensive update of the Uniform Guidance since its initial publication is now in full effect. This special webinar series will explain these important revisions as well as the key grants management rules that you must follow. When you register for the series, you will learn how to keep your organization in compliance with the updated Uniform Guidance.
The “Understanding the Revised Uniform Guidance Webinar Series” will feature a new topic every Wednesday at 2:00 P.M. Eastern Time from March 10, 2021, through April 7, 2021. However, because each webinar features an audience question and answer session, registration opportunities are limited to maximize each participant’s ability to ask questions. Registration also includes access to a recorded, on-demand version of each webinar. Sign-up today for the entire series or select individual webinars to learn how to properly manage your grants under the revised Uniform Guidance.
Over the course of the series, you will explore the most important requirements of the OMB’s Uniform Guidance that you must know to effectively manage your Federal awards and subawards. This five-part webinar series will feature a different topic each week. During the “Understanding the Revised Uniform Guidance Webinar Series, ” you will learn about the following:
- Changes to the OMB’s Uniform Grants Guidance;
- Basic administrative requirements under the Uniform Guidance;
- Procurement standards for grant-funded organizations;
- Rules for managing property purchased or improved with grant funds;
- Grant documentation and record retention best practices;
- Application of the Super Circular’s general cost principles;
- Indirect cost recovery and indirect cost rates under the Super Circular;
- Allowable and unallowable costs for grantees and subrecipients; and,
- Answers to frequently asked questions about the Uniform Guidance.
The webinar series will explore these key areas of grants management under the Uniform Grants Guidance and more. Each webinar will also include a dedicated question-and-answer session that will give you the opportunity to ask your individual Uniform Guidance and grants management questions.
Join us for the five-part Spring 2021 Webinar Series each Wednesday from March 10 to April 7. Each webinar starts at 2:00 P.M. Eastern Time (1:00 P.M. Central Time, 12:00 noon Mountain Time, and 11:00 A.M. Pacific Time). All webinars are two hours long, including the question and answer session. In addition to the live event, registrants will also receive free access to an on-demand recording for 30 days following each live webinar.
The Office of Management and Budget's Uniform Grants Guidance provides the basic rules for managing Federal grants and subawards. Noncompliance with the Uniform Guidance (also known as the "OMB Super Circular") can have serious, adverse consequences for grant-funded organizations as well as individual grants management professionals. These important rules, however, recently changed. During this webinar, you will learn about the OMB's revisions to the Uniform Guidance.
You will explore the following topics as part of this webinar:
- Timeline of Uniform Grants Guidance revisions;
- Significant changes to the Uniform Guidance;
- Effective dates for Super Circular revisions;
- Changes to related OMB rules for grants and agreements; and,
- Answers to frequently asked questions about the revised Uniform Guidance.
By participating in this webinar, you will learn about the updates to the Uniform Grants Guidance to help you ensure that your grant-funded programs stay in compliance with Federal requirements.
The rules and restrictions placed on grant-funded organizations under the Uniform Grants Guidance (also called the "OMB Super Circular") can be confusing and difficult to apply. This two-hour webinar will clear up the confusion and explain how to implement the Uniform Guidance's administrative requirements. You will learn about the major post-award compliance areas for grant-funded organizations. The webinar will explain these important requirements in detail, so that you can efficiently manage your grant-funded programs and avoid common problems.
Topics that you will learn about during the administrative requirements webinar include:
- Recent changes to administrative requirements;
- Rules for fiscal management systems;
- Internal control requirements for grantees;
- Standards for managing grant-funded property;
- Rules for administrative remedies;
- Recordkeeping standards for Federal grants;
- Requirements for closeouts and post-closeout adjustments; and,
- Answers to frequently asked questions about administrative requirements.
By participating, you will learn about these and other important rules for managing Federal grants and subawards. You will also have the opportunity to ask your individual questions during the two-hour webinar.
Learn the right way to purchase goods and services with grant funds. Procurement is one of the most complex and important areas under the Uniform Grants Guidance (also known as the "OMB Super Circular"). Failure to follow the procurement rules can result in costly disallowances and even loss of grant funding. Therefore, grantees and subrecipients need to understand these key requirements. This two-hour webinar will explain the Super Circular's major procurement rules while also highlighting recent changes to the procurement standards.
Topics that will be discussed during the procurement standards webinar include:
- Changes affecting procurement with grant funds;
- Acceptable procurement methods;
- Required and prohibited terms and conditions;
- Permissible types of contracts (procurement instruments);
- Conflict of interest requirements;
- Affirmative action provisions;
- Differences between procurement and subrecipient relationships; and,
- Evaluating and documenting procurement transactions.
During the webinar, you will learn about these and other important requirements to allow you to better manage the procurement process, whether as a direct grantee or a subrecipient. Not only will you learn about the rules for procurement under the Uniform Grants Guidance, you will also have the opportunity to get answers to your individual purchasing questions as part of the two-hour webinar.
In creating the Uniform Grants Guidance (also known as the "OMB Super Circular"), the Office of Management and Budget sought more consistent treatment of costs while also limiting allowability for certain items. Although the Super Circular's cost principles reflect these simple goals, the cost principles themselves are far from simple. Understanding these rules, though, is vital to successfully managing grant awards and avoiding questioned costs. This two-hour webinar will explain the major concepts and general rules underlying the Super Circular's cost principles and how they affect grant-funded entities.
During the webinar, you will explore the fundamental requirements of the Uniform Guidance's cost principles, including:
- Recent changes to the Uniform Guidance cost principles;
- General cost allowability rules;
- Direct cost basics;
- Indirect cost recovery (including the de minimis indirect cost rate);
- Differences between applicable credits and program income;
- Cost principles and "fixed amount awards";
- Prior approval requirements and exceptions; and,
- Avoiding common mistakes with cost principles.
These are just some of the areas that you will learn about when you participate in this two-hour webinar. In addition, you will also have the opportunity to ask your own questions about the Uniform Guidance's cost principles.
(Note: Treatment of selected items of cost under the Uniform Grants Guidance will be covered in a separate, companion webinar.)
"Can we charge that to our grant?" The cost principles in the Uniform Grants Guidance (also known as the "OMB Super Circular") try to answer that question for over four dozen specific items, but the answer is not always what you might expect. Numerous exceptions and prior approval requirements in the Super Circular can create confusion and make clear answers difficult. Compliance with grants management requirements, though, means getting the answer right every time. By participating in this two-hour webinar, you will learn how to correctly answer allowability questions for selected items of cost under the Super Circular's cost principles.
Just some of the selected items of cost that you will learn about during this webinar include:
- Compensation and benefits;
- Advertising and public relations;
- Equipment and other capital expenditures;
- Bad debts and improper payments;
- Insurance premiums and losses;
- Legal fees;
- Lobbying expenses;
- Contingencies and idle capacity;
- Audit costs;
- Consultants and other professional services;
- Conference expenses;
- Rental costs;
- Employ health and welfare costs;
- Travel expenses;
- Entertainment; and,
You will learn how to apply the rules for these and close to three dozen other selected items of cost when you take part in this in-depth exploration of the Uniform Guidance's cost principles. You will also have the opportunity to ask and get answers to your individual cost questions during this two-hour webinar's extended question and answer session.
(Note: The general cost principles under the Uniform Grants Guidance will be covered in a separate, companion webinar.)
When you attend the “Understanding the Revised Uniform Guidance Webinar Series,” you will learn about the major rules that both grantees and subrecipients must follow under the Uniform Grants Guidance (or OMB Super Circular). You will also learn about current developments and recent changes affecting grants management requirements. After participating in the webinar series, you will be able to:
- List recent revisions to the Uniform Grants Guidance;
- Outline the major sections of the Uniform Grants Guidance;
- List the considerations in making an award or subaward;
- Describe the revised standards for procurement under the Uniform Guidance;
- Outline the property management requirements for major categories of grant-acquired property;
- Distinguish between subawards and contracts and list elements of each;
- List the recordkeeping requirements (including retention periods) for Federal grants;
- Describe the elements of an acceptable time and effort reporting system;
- List the general cost principles under the Uniform Guidance;
- Identify specific items of cost and their allowability; and,
- Identify the Single Audit threshold under the Super Circular.
This webinar series is open to all grants management professionals (whether affiliated with a grantee, pass-through entity, or subrecipient). As either a new or an experienced member of the grant-funded community, you will receive timely and detailed information to help in meeting your grants management duties.
Each webinar in this series is recommended for 2 hours of Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credit in the field of specialized knowledge. Credit is available only for the live event, and attendees will need to answer at least 8 of 10 questions during the event to receive credit for that webinar. The experience level for each webinar in this series is overview. There are no prerequisites for attendance, and no advance preparation is required.
R. Brian Tipton is a practicing attorney who has over two decades of experience representing nonprofits, governmental units, and other grant-funded organizations across the United States. Currently, Brian is Managing Director with Kirk Private Client Law, LLC, in Atlanta, where he heads the firm’s tax-exempt and grant-funded solutions practice. He is a summa cum laude graduate of the Louisiana State University and the Cumberland School of Law of Samford University. Brian regularly represents grant-funded entities of all types in the areas of regulatory compliance, audits, funding source disputes, administrative appeals, and litigation. Brian also consults with organizations concerning governance, human resources, programmatic, and corporate matters, and develops and presents training programs for nonprofits and grant-funded organizations.
|Uniform Guidance Webinar Series||$499|
|Understanding the Revised Uniform Guidance||$199|
|Uniform Guidance Administrative Requirements||$199|
|Uniform Guidance Procurement Standards||$199|
|Uniform Guidance General Cost Principles||$199|
|Uniform Guidance Selected Items of Cost||$199|
Just select the webinar option and number of attendees and then click “REGISTER NOW” to register.