- Start: August 22, 2023 2:00 pm
- End: August 31, 2023 4:00 pm
Learn the rules for managing your Federal grants and subawards under the Office of Management and Budget’s Uniform Grants Guidance in just two weeks without having to leave your home or office when you attend the Uniform Grants Guidance Fundamentals Webinar Series from August 22-31, 2023.
We heard your request for a quick-start introduction to the OMB’s Uniform Grants Guidance and created a four-part explanation of the Uniform Guidance’s major components. Our special webinar series will cover the key requirements for administering Federal grants and subawards under the Uniform Grants Guidance in just two weeks. Over four sessions, you will learn about recent changes as well as the important grants management rules that your organization must follow. Following an overview of the Uniform Grants Guidance in the first session, you will review important administrative requirements in detail during the next session. Then, you will learn about allowable costs and the Uniform Guidance’s cost principles, including indirect costs. The series will conclude with an examination of the Uniform Guidance’s requirements for internal controls and how grant-funded entities can implement effective controls. By participating, you will learn how to keep your organization (whether a grantee, pass-through entity, or subrecipient) in compliance with current grants management rules and expectations.
The Uniform Grants Guidance Fundamentals Webinar Series will feature a faster pace with a different topic each session. The series will take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 2:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time starting August 22, 2023, and concluding on August 31, 2023. However, because each webinar features an audience question and answer session, registration opportunities are limited to maximize individual participation. Registration also includes access to a recorded version of each session to review on-demand for 30 days. Sign-up today for the entire series or select individual webinars to learn how to manage your grants under the Uniform Grants Guidance.
During the series, you will explore the most important requirements of the OMB’s Uniform Guidance that you must know to effectively manage your Federal awards and subawards. This four-part webinar series will feature a new topic each session. You will learn about the following topics:
- Recent revisions to the Uniform Grants Guidance;
- Basic administrative requirements under the Uniform Guidance;
- Procurement standards for grant-funded organizations under the Super Circular;
- Rules for managing property purchased or improved with grant funds;
- Grant documentation and record retention best practices;
- Allowable and unallowable costs for grantees and subrecipients;
- Indirect cost recovery and indirect cost rates under the Uniform Guidance;
- Application of special cost principles for selected items of cost;
- Implementing effective internal controls for grant-funded entities; and,
- Answers to frequently asked questions about the Uniform Guidance.
The webinar series will explore these key areas of grants management under the Uniform Grants Guidance and more. Each webinar will end with a dedicated audience question-and-answer period. You will have the opportunity to ask your individual Uniform Guidance and grants management questions.
Join us for this four-part webinar series. All webinars start at 2:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time (1:00 P.M. Central Daylight Time, 12:00 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, and 11:00 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time). Each webinar is two hours long, including the live audience question-and-answer period. Registrants will also receive complimentary access to an on-demand recording for 30 days following each live webinar.
The Office of Management and Budget's Uniform Grants Guidance provides the basic rules for managing Federal grants and subawards. Noncompliance with the Uniform Guidance (also known as the "OMB Super Circular") can have serious, adverse consequences for grant-funded organizations as well as individual grants management professionals. This session will introduce you to these important requirements.
You will explore the following topics as part of this webinar:
- Timeline of the Uniform Grants Guidance;
- Significant changes to the Uniform Guidance;
- Key definitions under the Uniform Guidance;
- General provisions and rules for making awards; and,
- Basic rules that grantees and subrecipients must follow.
By participating in this webinar, you will learn about the basic requirements of the Uniform Grants Guidance to help your grant-funded programs stay in compliance with current grants management rules.
The rules and restrictions placed on grant-funded organizations under the Uniform Grants Guidance (also called the "OMB Super Circular") can be confusing and difficult to apply. This two-hour webinar will clear up the confusion and explain how to implement the Uniform Guidance's administrative requirements. You will learn about the major post-award compliance areas for grant-funded organizations. The webinar will explain these important requirements in detail, so that you can efficiently manage your grant-funded programs and avoid common problems.
Topics that you will learn about during the administrative requirements webinar include:
- Recent changes to administrative requirements;
- Rules for fiscal management systems;
- Standards for managing grant-funded property;
- Standards for purchasing goods and services;
- Administrative remedies and enforcement actions;
- Recordkeeping standards for Federal grants;
- Requirements for closeouts and post-closeout adjustments; and,
- Answers to frequently asked questions about administrative requirements.
By participating, you will learn about these and other important rules for managing Federal grants and subawards. You will also have the opportunity to ask your individual questions during the two-hour webinar.
In creating the Uniform Grants Guidance (also known as the "OMB Super Circular"), the Office of Management and Budget sought more consistent treatment of costs while also limiting allowability for certain items. Although the Uniform Guidance's cost principles reflect these simple goals, the cost principles themselves are far from simple. Understanding these rules, though, is vital to successfully managing grant awards and avoiding questioned costs. This two-hour webinar will explain the major concepts and general rules underlying the Super Circular's cost principles and how they affect grant-funded entities.
During the webinar, you will explore the requirements of the Uniform Guidance's cost principles, including:
- Recent changes to the cost principles;
- General cost allowability rules;
- Direct cost basics;
- Indirect cost recovery (including the de minimis indirect cost rate);
- Cost principles and "fixed amount awards";
- Prior approval requirements and exceptions;
- Specific rules for selected items of cost; and,
- Avoiding common mistakes with cost principles.
These are just some of the areas that you will learn about when you participate in this two-hour webinar. In addition, you will also have the opportunity to ask your own questions about the Uniform Guidance's cost principles.
The Office of Management and Budget's Uniform Grants Guidance (also known as the "OMB Super Circular") requires grant-funded entities to implement effective internal controls. How does a grantee or subrecipient do that, though? Unfortunately, the Uniform Guidance itself is lacking in specifics. By participating in this two-hour webinar, you will learn more about this requirement and how your organization can implement effective controls.
During the webinar, you will explore the concept of internal control in detail, including the following topics:
- Basic requirements for internal controls;
- Frameworks for internal controls;
- Assessing risk and the link to internal controls;
- Different types of controls and their purposes;
- Common challenges to maintaining effective internal controls; and,
- Internal control considerations in light of the pandemic.
In short, you will learn how your organization can satisfy the Uniform Guidance's requirement to implement effective internal controls. You will also have the opportunity to get answers to your individual questions about internal controls during the extended question-and-answer period.
By participating in the Uniform Grants Guidance Fundamentals Webinar Series, you will learn about the major rules that grantees and subrecipients must follow under the OMB’s Uniform Guidance (which is also known as the OMB Super Circular). You will also learn about current developments and recent changes affecting grants management requirements. After participating in the webinar series, you will be able to:
- Outline recent changes to the Uniform Grants Guidance;
- Identify the major parts of the Uniform Grants Guidance;
- List the prerequisites for making an award or subaward;
- Describe requirements for procurement under the Uniform Guidance;
- List the property management standards for grant-acquired and grant-improved property;
- Outline the recordkeeping requirements and best practices for Federal grants;
- List the general rules for charging cost to grants under the Uniform Guidance;
- Distinguish between allowable and unallowable costs;
- Describe the preferred internal control framework for grant-funded entities; and,
- List at least three common internal controls.
This webinar series is intended for all grants management professionals. Whether you are new to the world of Federal grants or are an experienced member of the grant-funded community, this webinar series will provide information to assist you in meeting your grants management duties.
Each webinar in this series is recommended for 2 hours of Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credit in the field of specialized knowledge. Credit is available only for the live events; credit is not available for recorded webinars. Attendees will need to actively participate by answering at least 8 of 10 questions during the webinar to receive credit. The experience level for all webinars in the series is overview. There are no prerequisites for attendance, and no advance preparation is required.
R. Brian Tipton is a practicing attorney with more than two decades of experience working with nonprofits, governmental units, and other grant-funded organizations across the United States. Currently, Brian is Managing Director with Tipton KPCL in Atlanta, where he heads the firm’s tax-exempt and grant-funded solutions practice. He is a summa cum laude graduate of the Louisiana State University and the Cumberland School of Law of Samford University. Brian regularly represents grant-funded entities of all types in the areas of regulatory compliance, audits, funding source disputes, administrative appeals, and litigation. Brian also consults with organizations on governance, human resources, programmatic, and corporate matters, and develops and presents training programs for nonprofits and grant-funded organizations.
BONUS: All paid registrants will receive free access for 30 days to on-demand recordings of each live session.